Did you know that the benefits of certain superfoods go far beyond their nutritional properties? Coconut oil is one superfood that fits the bill. For thousands of years, coconut oil has been consumed in tropical locations, and studies demonstrate that natives of those areas are in generally good health. These findings are quite interesting given that health care officials and media in the western world continue to emphasize the health risks associated with foods high in saturated fats. Remarkably, multiple studies on pacific island populations, whose total diet is made up of anywhere between 30-60% of saturated coconut oil, have shown that cardiovascular disease is essentially non-existent in these cultures. Clearly, the evidence appears to be quite contradictory, even amongst medical professionals.
Whether or not you believe coconut oil should be part of your diet, it should be an absolutely essential part of your skincare routine.
So how does coconut oil benefit the skin?
- As a naturally occurring saturated fat, when applied as a moisturizer, coconut oil prevents the loss of moisture through the skin’s pores, leaving the skin smooth and glowing to touch! When consumed in the diet, it can even out skin tone and reduce the appearance of pores.
- Coconut oil’s high vitamin E content helps improve hair, nails, and repairs everyday wear and tear on the skin. It also has been shown to prevent premature aging and wrinkles, given its high antioxidant properties.
- Rich in many proteins that contribute to cellular health and tissue repair, coconut oil keeps skin healthy and rejuvenated both internally and externally. These proteins work to replace damaged cells at a normal rate, reducing the effect of scarring on the skin.
Application and Beauty Benefits of Coconut Oil for the Skin
- Make-up remover: Apply a small amount on a cotton pad and gently dab your eyes and skin. Stop exposing your skin to the harsh chemicals of mainstream make-up removers and give your skin the extra hydration it requires for less wrinkles and a healthier glow!
- Lip Balm: Coconut oil will easily and effectively moisten cracked and dry lips without the side effects of harmful chemicals found in many over-the-counter lip balms. Put a small amount in a little jar and dab some on for perfectly soft and supple lips!
- Cuticle oil: Moisturize dry, flaky cuticles, while supplying your nails with vitamin E by rubbing coconut oil onto your nail beds.
- Body Moisturizer: Use a small amount of coconut oil and apply it anywhere on your body for extra hydration and silky smooth skin.
- Soothe Sunburns: Coconut oil can help relieve sunburn after a long day in the sun by relieving inflammation and redness while rehydrating skin.
- Enjoy a relaxing, moisturizing bath: Adding a spoonful of coconut oil to your bath water will not only add extra moisture to your skin but has even been shown to increase relaxation.
- Help Eczema Flare-ups: Coconut oil can calm itchy and flaky skin related to eczema flare-ups. Simply soothe a small amount to the irritated area and wait for the natural, quick relief!
- Enjoy as a Massage Oil: Coconut oil is perfect for an at home massage because it’s slick but absorbed fairly quickly by the skin, preventing any greasy residue left behind afterwards (Tip: add a few drops of your favorite essential oil for added scent and benefits).
- Cheekbone Highlighter: Perk up your cheekbones by sweeping a small amount of coconut oil on top of makeup. This beauty trick will emphasize your cheekbones while leaving you with a youthful, healthy glow!
- Stretch Marks: Coconut oil has the power to reduce stretch marks, helping them fade more quickly while adding extra moisture to speed up the healing process.
- Shaving Gel: Get a close, smooth shave by replacing your shave creams and gels with coconut oil. Coconut oil will help prevent ingrown hairs and razor burn while providing added moisture to your skin. Just rub onto skin, shave, then pat dry.
Before you go out and grab the nearest bottle of coconut oil, remember this:
- Make sure the coconut oil you purchase is Organic, Virgin, Cold-Pressed, Unrefined Coconut Oil…this oil is minimally processed which results in a much higher nutrient content (vitamins, antioxidants, and proteins).
- A little goes a long way…since the skin can only absorb a certain amount, using too much, too often can leave the skin oily and greasy.
Who would have thought that this common, house-hold ingredient could be used to bring out your natural beauty!