There is a lot of recent literature out there about “the law of attraction” and the power of belief…but a lot of these books are surface-level and focus merely on visualization techniques. Instead of merely looking at this basic information, we’re going to take an in-depth look into just how the subconscious mind works, how it has led to some of the greatest achievements in modern history, and how you can harness that power…the 90% of your brain that most of us have had working AGAINST us for so long…to achieve any goal you may have in your life, especially those relating to your health and happiness.
Have you ever thought about what it really means when we say someone is “driven”? Do you notice that the saying implies that they aren’t consciously driving the car? Something else is…their subconscious minds! When you’re able to use this immense amount of untapped power and wisdom, you are PULLED towards your goals and amazing results as if by some invisible force.
Is this subconscious mind stuff just a way for people to sell more self-help books? Nope! It turns out the power of your subconscious is VERY, VERY, REAL…and some of the world’s greatest achievers and creators have leveraged their subconscious minds to discover and create some of the world’s most amazing things.
In “The Wisdom of Your Subconscious Mind,” by John K. Williams (a book that is now out of print but should be republished!), the author says “Modern civilization in its structure and achievement rests upon a foundation built by subconscious activity in the fields of science, invention, music, the arts, and literature.”
It turns out that these discoveries were during periods of rest following intense work and focus…THIS is the time when the subconscious mind is most active! Let’s look at some examples:
- Charles Darwin discovered the theory of evolution while resting in his bed recovering from malaria.
- Albert Einstein discovered the theory of relativity while he was relaxing in bed because of an illness.
- Sir Isaac Newton discovered the theory of gravity while relaxing under an apple tree.
- James Watt, who invented the steam engine, made the discovery while on a quiet walk one afternoon.
- Beethoven once said, “The new and original is born of itself without one’s thinking of it.”
So you see, it is the subconscious mind that is the engine of the great discoveries and achievements of the world! BUT…it’s incredibly important to recognize that this is COMPLETELY different from daydreaming! These achievements were discovered with GOAL-DIRECTED use of the subconscious mind…and after periods of intense WORK!
…So we know what the subconscious mind is now and how it works, we know that it’s been a massive driving force throughout human history…but HOW can you harness it for yourself and your personal goals?
So how do you communicate with your subconscious? You simply think internally or talk to it, using affirmations and repetitions!
In “The Power of Your Subconscious Mind,” Dr. Joseph Murphy writes, “All things that have happened to you are based on thoughts impressed on your subconscious mind through belief. If you have conveyed erroneous concepts to your subconscious mind, the sure method of overcoming them is by the repetition of constructive, harmonious thoughts frequently repeated which your subconscious mind accepts, thus forming new and healthy habits of thought and life, for your subconscious mind is the seat of habit.”
But here’s the problem, many people who try to use affirmations find that they don’t seem to work for them. Here are 5 quick and powerful tips to craft effective affirmations that you can use to power yourself towards amazing results!
- Eliminate negative statements from your vocabulary. Saying things like “I will never get an answer” “I see no way out” “I don’t know what to do” “I’m all mixed up” will imprint in your subconscious. If you catch yourself using negative words, quickly reverse them!
- Don’t force it – mental coercion or too much effort results in anxiety and fear, which blocks your answer…easy does it.
- Cultivate deep conviction, and rest easy knowing that the solution is at hand. The combination of COMPLETE BELIEF and DEEP RELAXATION is the secret formula for effectively communicating with your subconscious. It should not be a struggle and it should not take willpower.
- Perhaps more importantly, you must craft affirmations that you actually CAN believe in! Here’s an example…if you’re struggling with illness, saying something like “I am healthy and vibrant” will not work, because your conscious mind will intervene with doubt. Try something like this (from Murphy) -“Every cell, nerve, tissue, and muscle of my lungs are now being made whole, pure, and perfect. My whole body is being restored to health and harmony.”
- The absolute BEST time to communicate with your subconscious mind is in a state of sleepiness, such as right before you go to bed or just after you wake up in the morning. The reason for this is that when your conscious mind is tired, you have little energy for negative thoughts or fears. When you are sleepiest, deeply imagine the outcome of your desires and goals and it will become imprinted on your subconscious.
So craft some powerful affirmations and begin to implement them into your lifestyle! If you have any affirmations that you’d like to share, please do so with the group by leaving a comment! “”